My brother is getting married in a few weeks, so I am heading stateside the end of this week. The wedding is going to be in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and then I’m going to spend a few days in L.A. I have been looking forward to this for so long and if you have any tips for any must see/do things, please let me know.
I need to pack for a beach holiday as well as a city holiday, and in the past this would have been a scary task for me, I was the world’s worst packer. I’m talking sitting on a case to try and close it before I even got there. And then having to buy a case coming back, just to bring back the things I bought. Now most of the time my case is between 7 to 11kg. The previous post I did was more of fun how to, so I wanted to share more details with you this time round on my packing tips.
I have a basic checklist that I adapt to where I am travelling to, the only rule that remains consistent it that I try to make sure every item I pack goes with two other things. I lay everything out on my bed as it’s easier for me to visualise the outfit combinations.
My basic checklist is:
4 T-shirts/Tanks – This can be 2 short sleeve t-shirts and 2 long sleeve t-shirts or 2 short sleeve t-shirts and 2 tanks (any variation that works for you);
3 Dresses – 2 evening dress and 1 casual dress;
1 Evening Top;
- 1 Day to Night Skirt;
- 2 Casual Trousers – You can pick jeans, capri’s, etc whatever you are comfortable with;
- 2 Bikini/Swimsuit – This can be 2 bikini’s or 2 swimsuits or a combo of the two;
- 1 Beach Cover-up;
- 3 Shoes – 1 evening shoe, 1 day flat sandal and 1 day-to-night shoe;
- 2 Bags – 1 day bag and 1 evening clutch;
- 1 Jacket;
- 1 Cardigan.
I then list what is missing or needs to be cleaned/repaired and then add jewellery/accessories, nightwear, underwear and toiletries. Things to remember:
1. The list will need to be tweaked to suit your destination, for example as my brother’s wedding has formal activities I will be packing 3 evening dresses instead of 1 evening dress.
2. As I need more than 1 evening clutch I will be packing my pink wallet on a chain and using as my purse, then when I need to I can use it as a clutch. If you have anything that can be multi tasked, find a way to pack it.
3. Always use travel size toiletries, it’s worth investing in the small plastic bottles and decanting your favourite toiletries into them. After every trip I refill my bottles and put them away, then when I am next travelling everything is ready.
4. Always wear the heaviest item on the plane, I normally wear jeans and a t-shirt and layer the cardigan and jacket on top. As the flight is going to be 16 hours I will have something more comfortable to change into on the plane.
If you feel like you need more items to above, then add them but try and remove something else if possible.
Let me know if there are any tips you follow when you travel that I can add to the above.